HUNTINGsmart! USA Knowledge Base
Module 01 - HUNTING BASICS
All types of ammunition must be handled with care.
Use these tips to stay safe when handling your bullets, shot or slugs:
- Never mix up your ammo—use separate storage containers if you have different types of ammo
- Check the condition of your ammo and don’t use it if it’s dented or irregular in any way.
- Read all of the information on the ammunition packaging.
- Never use longer ammo than the data stamp calls for or the barrel could burst.
- Only use ammo that you have loaded yourself.
- Keep your ammo clean—oil, sand or dirt on the cartridge or shell could jam the action and damage your firearm.
- Lock up and store your ammo in a cool, dry place to avoid corrosion. Remember to keep ammo away from heat, sharp objects, and anything that creates vibrations.