HUNTINGsmart! USA Knowledge Base
Module 14 - SURVIVAL
A minor cut from your knife or from a sharp branch is manageable but severe bleeding can kill you in just a few minutes.
Bleeding to death? Here’s what to do:
- Apply pressure directly to the cut area.
- Cover the wound with gauze or with a clean cloth.
- Push down firmly with the palm of your hand to stop the bleeding.
- Once the first piece begins to soak through with blood, add another piece of gauze or cloth on top.
- Continue applying firm pressure. If the wound is on your arm or your leg—raise the limb in the air to reduce the bleeding.
- Once the bleeding slows down, get to a hospital for additional help. You may need a doctor to sew you up.